Pages

Saturday, September 17, 2011

#19 - Make Cheese

It wasn't much, but I'm going to count it.  Alton Brown had an episode of "Good Eats" on milk and one of the recipes he presented was cottage cheese.  Denise put cottage cheese on the shopping list, so I figured I'd buy some skim milk and make the cottage cheese from scratch.

Below we have the curds separating from the whey.  Kind of a weird and interesting process to watch.  Changes the way you think about milk, that's for sure.


The finished product follows.  It was good, but not your stereotypical cottage cheese experience.  The texture was sort of a cross between cottage cheese and crumbled mozzarella. 


I suspect I may have not processed the recipe entirely accurately, so I might need to try again.  Either way, I'm counting it as cheese.  If I can score some goat milk someplace I may try it with that, bur for now I am checking off #19.

1 comment:

  1. wow, that does really make me think differently about the milk i put in my coffee every morning.... what the heck is in there??

    The cottage cheese itself looks yummy and crumbled moz sounds like a good thing to me.

    ReplyDelete