Another one down.
We consume standby power in this household like it was wrapped in cheese. In an effort to rein in some of that power consumption I bought a Belkin Conserve remote controlled power strip and hooked it up to the home theater system in our living room.
We now have the home theater receiver, subwoofer, DVD player, TV and turntable all connected to the remotely controlled outlets on the strip. Only the DVR is connected to an "always-on" outlet, since it has to stay on to record programs as scheduled.
In theory, this should help reduce our electricity consumption and thereby our monthly bills.
While I was behind the entertainment center I took the opportunity to install a preamp for my turntable. I haven't been able to use that since I upgraded the receiver (new receivers not bothering with phono inputs, since CD is supposed to be so much superior. Pffffttt!) Now at last I can pull out all those classic Jethro Tull LPs.
Anyway we will see how the next electric bill looks. And then we'll have to see what we can do about the cheese.
No comments:
Post a Comment