Pages

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Blow Glass => Rowing Shell

I have changed yet another list item.  I'm not sure my inconsistency is consistent with the intent of the originators of this whole list idea, but I figure I made several mistakes in the drafting of the original, so WTF.

I'm watching "Good Will Hunting" this evening and there's a scene (brief though it may be) with someone rowing somewhere in Boston in some location that my sister Kathy would probably recognize, and it reminded me that I've always wanted to be someplace where I could get up at 0-dark-thirty, haul my shell down to the water and go for a row.

I've liked the idea ever since George Peppard, rowed about in the opening scenes of Banacek, way back in the early 70's.  And just recently I saw The River Wild, with Meryl Streep rowing a shell, probably in the same area of Boston, for all I know.


I originally had "Blow Glass" on my list, mostly because of a mistake.  That was supposed to tie in with the next item on the list which was to learn to make neon signs.  What I should have said was "bend glass" which would have been more appropriate for making neon.  So, I decided to just drop the blowing thing altogether.

As it turns out, rowing a shell may be a bigger challenge than anticipated.  A quick Google search on rowing shells turned up Maas Boats, and a quick search of the product specs yields no boats rated for more than 240 pounds of rower.  A Google search for "rowing shells for fat people" yeilded little worth further investigation.

Damn, I may actually have to lose weight.

1 comment:

  1. Maybe you could tie two of them together? One for each butt cheek... (And you're not fat, you're just big boned. Try "rowing shells for big-boned people".)

    ReplyDelete