Pages

Sunday, June 19, 2011

#76 and #82; Play Tennis and Walk to the Mall for Lunch

Nicholas is back in town from Italy, having returned on Wednesday evening.  I haven't blogged about it, because it was his trip and I'll let him give the update on his blog.

Anyway, he and Tee were here today and decided that we should go down to the clubhouse to play tennis.  We sent Denise to Sport Chalet to buy tennis balls while Tee, Nick and I walked to the courts.  (Leo was somewhat dismayed I think, watching us through the fence as we walked off into the commons.  I'm pretty sure he's never seen us go there without taking him along for a walk.)

Denise showed up with the tennis balls and we smashed the ball around the court for a while, Denise and I versus Nick and Tee.  Denise and I lost (surprise), but not too badly.  I had the most home runs, with two shots leaving the yard.  The best anyone else could muster was a ground-rule double by Tee.

After a full set of doubles we played a little cutthroat, one-on-two, with one person rotating out to the bench each game.  We played to six games, with Nick winning, but I was close with five.

This is a good shot of me.

After the tennis we walked the rest of the way to the mall and lunch at the Yard House.  Mmmm, beer!  Having finished lunch we wasted some time in the Williams-Sonoma store, looking at all manner of cookware too expensive to purchase.  Williams-Sonoma sells a lot of uni-taskers; strawberry slicers, avocado pitters, stuff of that nature.  Alton Brown would be appalled.  We did buy a few items, most notably some espresso to make in the stove top espresso maker that Nick brought me from Italy.

From Williams-Sonoma we moved over to the Apple store, just for a few minutes.  Nick played Angry Birds on an iPad 2 while Denise and Tee went back to the Yard House to use their facilities.

Shopping completed, we walked back to the clubhouse.  Denise, Tee and Nick took the car, and I walked the rest of the way home, probably a mistake since it was now mid-afternoon and pretty hot.  Nick actually met me with a water bottle part way back, which was nice.

So, now I need a ruling.  Can I check off two list items at the same time?  Is it fair to incorporate a tennis match into the walk to the mall?

More to the point, I feel like a single tennis match or single walk to the mall doesn't really meet the spirit of the items.  "Play tennis" should probably mean play tennis routinely; maybe once a week or twice a month.  And "walk to mall for lunch" should maybe be every other month or so?

Oh well, I didn't specifically say they had to be recurring, so I'm checking them off.  I'll just have remind myself to keep going.

No comments:

Post a Comment