Pages

Sunday, January 30, 2011

#52 Well Underway and First Alternate Done!

The first tier of the retaining wall, with Nicholas' help, is pretty much done.  With any luck this will keep our fruit trees from washing off down the hill.  Unfortunately, I can't completely check this one off because we have at least two more tiers to go.

We finished in time to mix up a pitcher of celebratory Margarita's and kick back for a bit.

Tee arrived from NoCal shortly thereafter and we settled on a trip to Aiyara for a dinner of Thai food.  This place has very excellent food (not to mention a cool elephant fountain), but whenever I've been there previously you could have herded elephants through the dining room without trampling anyone.  Last night the place was packed.  Turns out that Saturday is $12 Chang Beer Tower night.  Seemed like a stupid concept to me, but apparently it is striking a chord with Temeculans.

Sadly, I gave Tee a taste of my Massaman Curry w/ Mock Chicken.  Tee, as it turns out, does not have much experience with spicy food and I had ordered this SPICY.  It took an assortment of remedies before she was fully recovered from the burn.

On another note, the first item on my waiting/alternate Gumbilist is done.  Inspired by John Goodman's character in Always (at least I think that's where I saw this) I tried to eat a Twinkie with a straw.  This is easier said than done.  I tried warming the Twinkie in the microwave for a few seconds to get the creamy filling flowing.  Bad idea, because I think warming actually brings out the full flavor of all the nasty chemicals.  This is not something I'll be repeating, but at least when asked I can hold my head high and say that, "Why yes, I have eaten a Twinkie with a straw."


Oh, and again, the obligatory Leo shot, "Lusting for Twinkie!"

2 comments:

  1. Reminds me of the time you ate a smoked oyster on top of a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup. It was a bet... If we would have had Leo then, I'm sure he would have looked at that in the same lusting way. BTW, the others in the room declined a "sip". It even had that slurpy straw sound at the end when the filling was gone. Groooooosssss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For all your healthy eating, I can't believe you sucked a Twinkie through a straw. Ick.

    Saw a show on Discovery the other night that I thought you would enjoy - "How Beer Saved the World." Very int'ing - about how beer influenced pretty much everything - agriculture, civilization in general, science, writing, revolutions. You should look for it - maybe they'll rerun it.

    ReplyDelete